- First line of defense against the spread of illness and provide a bit of normalcy.
- Items include: soap, shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, bandaids, hand towel, wash cloth, nail clippers and educational material: Stay Healthy Wash Your Hands.
- Impact: local, domestic, international
U.S. DOMESTIC CRISIS KITS FOR MEN AND WOMEN
- Variation of the personal hygiene kit designed to meet domestic needs.
- Men's kit includes the basic personal hygiene kit contents in addition to: deodorant, razor, and shave gel.
- Women's kit includes the basic personal hygiene kit contents in addition to: deodorant, razor, shave gel, and disposable feminine hygiene products.
- Impact: domestic, distributed in response to disaster or crisis (domestic abuse shelters and homeless shelters, such as City Union Mission).
- Women and girls in the developing world and crisis situations are consistently a vulnerable population.
- Kit additions include: a whistle, crank flashlight, 2 pairs of underwear, 2 reusable menstrual pads, washbowl, 2 bars of soap, 4 condoms and educational materials: Menstrual Health, Stay Safe Use a Condom, Pad Use/Care.
- Impact: international, these kits address specific hygiene & safety needs abroad.
INCARCERATED YOUTH KITS
- Partnering with the OneHeart Project to provide at-risk and incarcerated youth with a second chance.
- Kit items include: body wash, shampoo, deodorant, toothbrush, as well as socks and gloves.
- Impact: local, domestic
- Most young adults behind bars do not have access to these basic hygiene items due to the lack of funds coming into their commissary accounts.
- Nationally, nearly 70% of incarcerated juvenile males are rearrested; the vast majority within six months of initial release.
More kit types will be developed as needs arise.
KITS IN PROGRESS:
KEEP GIRLS IN SCHOOL KIT
- One in 10 girls in Africa miss school during their period and eventually drop out. Ethiopia reports that more than 50% of girls miss between one and four days of school per month due to menstruation. (According to UNESCO, the UN’s educational, scientific and cultural arm).
- Kit items include: reusable menstrual pads, whistle, crank flashlight, pairs of underwear, bars of soap, and educational materials: Menstrual Health Basics and Pad Use/Care.
- Impact: international